Fraudsters may have gotten away with tens of billions of dollars from the U.S. Department of Labor by filing claims in multiple states and using the social security numbers of dead people as aid was distributed during the coronavirus pandemic, a federal watchdog claimed Thursday.
The department’s own inspector general, Larry Turner, revealed his office has identified $45.6 billion in potentially fraudulent unemployment insurance payments that occurred between March 2020 and April, UPI reports.
“Hundreds of billions in pandemic funds attracted fraudsters seeking to exploit the UI program — resulting in historic levels of fraud and other improper payments,”Turner stated this in a statement.
The Labor Department also paid more than $267.3 Million in benefits for federal prisoner unemployment and $140,000,000 to almost 206,000 dead social security numbers.
Prosecutors said that eight men in New York City stole $2 million for coronavirus relief. They then used the money online to show their wealth. https://t.co/5MfDeSkSRe
— Breitbart News (@BreitbartNews) May 21, 2021
The inspector general’s office said its 140 criminal investigators have opened more than 190,000 investigations related to unemployment insurance fraud, resulting in charges being brought against more than 1,000 people, the UPI report adds.
The department said that it has obtained 400 convictions so far. This accounts for over 7,000 consecutive months of incarceration.
It is not just the Labor Department that is being investigated regarding fraudulent claims in the context of the pandemic.
As Breitbart News reported, 47 people were charged in Minnesota on Tuesday with conspiracy and other counts in what Federal authorities allege is the largest fraud scheme yet to take advantage of $1.9 trillion in taxpayer funds released by the Biden administration during the coronavirus pandemic.
Aimee Boock (41), founder and executive director at Feeding Our Future. Feeding Our Future was the sponsor of Federal Child Nutrition Program.
Both were accused of embezzling $250 million of federal tax-funded meals programs that provide food for low-income families.
The accused face a variety of charges, including wire fraud and bribery as well as money laundering.
Follow Simon Kent Twitter Follow @SunSimonKent or e-mail to: [email protected]
Check out the complete article here