According to the Washington Post, officials from Newport News Elementary School, Virginia where a teacher in the first grade was attacked by her 6-year-old pupil, they downplayed the previous concerns about boys.
Abigail Zwerner, 25, reportedly raised concerns and requested help from school officials relating to the boy’s behavior, which apparently included a threat to light a teacher on fire and watch her die.
According to The Post’s messages, the issue was dismissed.
VIRGINIA MOM DETAILS MOMENTS REPORTEDLY LEFT UP TO 6 YEAR-OLD SHOOTING TEACHER
Zwerner was teaching a first-grade class when the boy pulled out a 9mm handgun owned by his mother and fired at her, hitting her first through her hand that she held up in a defensive posture and then in her upper chest.
This 25-year old is in stable condition. She was praised for helping all her students get out of their classrooms to safety, even though she had been shot. Another school worker rushed in to physically restrain the boy.
The Newport News school Richneck Elementary has come under fire for the way it dealt with the shooting. “intentional.”
Parents were already outraged that Newport News Superintendent George Parker III claimed that they had been tipped that the boy was carrying a gun on that particular day. However, the school failed to find the weapon when he searched his bag.
FAMILY OF 6 YEAR-OLD VIRGINIA STUDENT, WHO RENAULT HIS TEACHER SILENCE. INSISTS GUN WAS RECOVERED
Steve Drew, Newport News Police chief, said that the tip was not reported to authorities.
Police and school officials have not answered questions relating to the boy’s behavior, and Fox News Digital could not reach Zwerner for comment.
After a court order in early January, the detention order placed him into emergency custody.
For the first time in weeks, the family spoke out about the death of their son and claimed that the gun was stolen. “secured”The boy used it before he went to school.
“Our heart goes out to our son’s teacher and we pray for her healing in the aftermath of such an unimaginable tragedy as she selflessly served our son and the children in the school,” the child’s family said Thursday in a statement.
“Our family has always been committed to responsible gun ownership and keeping firearms out of the reach of children,”The statement was complete, but did not explain how. “secured.”
Greg Norman, Pilar Arias and Pilar Arianas contributed to the report.
The full article is available here here